Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP in Montenegro is initiating the implementation of the “United in Gender Equality’’ project aiming to enhance Montenegro’s government’s capacities to promote gender equality and apply gender mainstreaming across strategic, legislative and policy frameworks and state programmes and development plans. Technical assistance and gender mainstreaming support will be informed by gender analyses, and guided by tools, methods, and knowledge products, ensuring dialogue. This will help to channel political will and commitment of the highest-ranking public officials into concrete actions and help support the reinforcement of Montenegro’s gender equality infrastructure.
UNDP continuously provides strategic guidance, policy advice and technical support to the decisions makers at various levels and ensures the gradual process of development of the overarching system of gender mainstreaming in the governance system, making it consistent and aligned with international commitments and best practices in gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment approach. Overall, UNDP's efforts create a conducive environment for gender equality and women’s empowerment initiatives, driving positive systemic changes and promoting inclusivity across all levels of governance.
UNDP CO Montenegro fully aligned the Country Programme Document for Montenegro (2023-2027) (CPD) with the Strategic Plan 2022-2025 and global Gender Equality Strategy, 2022-2025. The UNDP CPD is based on a gender analysis, that is then integrated within programmatic priorities, while CPD’s results framework uses gender-sensitive and disaggregated data. The CPD plans to allocate a minimum of 15% of the planned resources in gender specific initiatives.
Accordingly, in line with Gender Equality Strategy UNDP assures gender mainstreaming across its programmes driven by national development choices. Committed to structural transformation UNDP works with country to shift the underlying systems and power structures that determine development. Linking issues and partners, asking questions and holding difficult conversations helps development build on a foundation of gender equality and inclusion. In this regard, UNDP serves as a convener and advocate as much as, if not more than, a programme provider.
The UNDP Gender Strategy includes a focus on addressing the multiple and intersecting forms of deprivation, disadvantage, and discrimination. For instance, discrimination against women based on sex and gender is inextricably linked with factors such as race, ethnicity, religion or belief, health, status, age, class, caste, and sexual orientation and identity. Other factors are urbanization, migration and displacement, natural disasters and armed conflicts.
Furthermore, building resilience by helping countries develop capacities to prevent, mitigate and respond to diverse risks and crises. This depends on fully involving women, on equal terms and at all levels, including in decision-making.
Guiding principles of results-based management, human rights-based approach, capacity development, digital transformation, and environment-friendly interventions will be assured to bring added value and awareness of partners regarding human-cantered policy design and gender equality.
The Project Assistant will work under direct supervision of two Project Analysts: Project Analyst for Gender Mainstreaming and Project Analyst for Economic Empowerment of Women.Duties And Responsibilities
Under direct supervision of the respective Project Analysts and overall supervisor of the Team Leader for Gender Equality, the incumbent will carry out the following main tasks:
- Assist the Project Analysts in day-to-day management and oversight of project activities;
- Assist in the preparation of substantive progress and financial plans and reports;
- Ensure all project documentation (progress reports, consulting and other technical reports, minutes of meetings, etc.) are properly maintained in hard and electronic copies in an efficient and readily accessible filing system, for when required by the Project Boards, Technical Advisory Committee, UNDP, project consultants;
- Provide required administrative and logistical assistance in implementation of the projects as well as to provide assistance to the respective Team Leader and Project Analysts.
The Project Assistant is responsible for all the administrative and accounting matters under the Gender Equality portfolio of projects as set out in the overall Project documents, and in accordance with the UNDP standards and best practices. Under direct supervision of the respective Project Analysts, the main task of the Project Assistant will be to ensure overall administrative, logistics and accounting support to implementation/delivery of different aspects of the project work.
In performing these responsibilities, the incumbent will be required to carry out the following main tasks on a regular basis:
- Draft routine correspondence, facsimile, memoranda and reports from oral instructions, previous correspondence or other available information sources, in accordance with the standard office procedures, and ensure appropriate follow-up; write minutes from the meetings; provide translation/interpretation services into English and vice versa, when needed.
- Provide logistical support to the Gender Equality portfolio of projects and ensure provision of adequate secretarial and interpretation facilities (organization of Projects’ events, meetings and study tours, travel arrangements, arrangement of shipments, project vehicles maintenance, conference facilities arrangements, visits of experts, timely processed daily subsistence allowances, etc.).
- Assist the M&E officer in matters related to M&E and knowledge resources management and in the preparation of progress reports. The project teams report progress twice a year to the donors, at least once a year to the Project Boards, and continuously to the CO management, the task is to support these reporting processes with continuous track record of implemented activities.
- Maintain administrative files relevant to the Projects;
- Maintain day-to-day communication with Operations Unit regarding the projects related administration matters: procurement, human resources, travel and finance matters; provide administrative support regarding recruitment of experts and procurement of goods and services under the Projects;
- Provide support to procurement processes related to the implementation of projects in hand: enter project procurement plans in Quantum, provide support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of tender documents, provide support to organization of the tendering and contracting procedure (publishing tender, if necessary organizing pre-bid conference and site visit, selecting and contracting companies), support to receipts of quotations, bids or proposals, and their preliminary evaluation; provide support to monitoring and of consultants’ works and related payments, provide support to identification of needs for equipment, and procurement and installation of necessary equipment;
- Perform regular financial and administrative duties necessary for the successful and timely implementation of projects within the said portfolio:
- Ensure daily transactions are processed in the Quantum system (vendors, invoices, requisitions, etc.);
- Keep track of all transactions in a budget notebook;
- Perform regular budget revisions;
- Provide regular delivery estimation and monthly expense estimation to the Finance Unit; provide regular reporting regarding the Projects’ expenditures;
- Prepare periodic Projects’ asset/inventory reports;
- Ensure completeness of documentation, check accuracy of calculation for all financial transactions related to the Projects and prepare/process financial transactions in the system in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
The Project Assistant will be responsible for providing daily support to respective Project Analysts and accordingly Team Leader. The incumbent will be based in UNDP Montenegro office in Podgorica.Competencies
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Digital Awareness And Literacy
Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skilfull grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them, as needed.
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs. Provide inputs to the deYelopment of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, frameworks, standards, regulations, policies and trends, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations.
Effective Decision Making
- Ability to manage events, including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
- Ability to take decision in a timely and efficient manner in lin with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education is required.
- University Degree (Bachelor´s degree) in social sciences, Economics, Management or related sciences will be given due consideration, but is not a requirement.
- Minimum 5 years (with Secondary education) or 2 years (with Bachelor´s degree) of progressively responsible administrative, financial administration experience is required.
- Fluency in English and Montenegrin is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Previous project administration and finance experience;
- Previous relevant experience in working with international organizations;
- Previous experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Previous experience in logistics and organization of events;
- Previous experience in project monitoring and evaluation, and preparation of progress reports.
Applicant Information About UNDP Rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.