FGi is seeking a Mechanical Engineer in Podgorica, Montenegro for an upcoming 1-year project (with 2 year extension option) for an upcoming construction project and this position holder will be Working under the Project Director/Construction Manager, the Mechanical Engineer is responsible for overseeing and inspecting all work elements of the construction site, reviewing contract documents, shop drawings, construction plans, developing change orders and cost estimates for the project. Incumbent must be capable of working independently.
Working days: Monday through Friday
Working hours: eight (8) hours work day
- Develops an in-depth knowledge of the contractual requirements for the project.
- Oversees the construction to ensure adherence to approved drawings and specifications; inspects construction workmanship, materials, equipment.
- Oversees site work elements within discipline and provides early notification of potential schedule slippages regarding the mechanical construction activities.
- Monitors the work process, performs quality assurance testing and enforces safety requirements.
- Makes cost estimates on design changes, evaluates cost proposals and contractors’ requests for adjustments.
- Reports to the Project Director/Construction Manager and/or Senior Engineer on the project’s conformity and non- conformity to approved drawings and specifications; makes recommendations on how to correct deficiencies and resolve problems during construction.
- Maintains daily construction surveillance logs to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of contracts.
- On behalf of the owners’ interest, the Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for overseeing the work of contractors over the course of the project. The Mechanical Engineer tracks the contractor scheduled milestones; materials, equipment, and labor used; the quality and workmanship of outputs, and provides the contractors, through the PD, observations, recommendations, and supervision.
- Monitors the construction schedule, reviews contractors’ proposals for change, and makes recommendations to Project Director on time extension requests.
- Reviews contractors’ invoices related to mechanical works to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Reviews contractors’ invoices related to electrical works to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Reviews and analyzes material samples, shop drawings, installation manuals, and other technical documents submitted by the contractors to ensure conformity with contract requirements.
- Prepares written reports to Project Director with analysis and recommendations on alternatives and actions, where appropriate.
- Prepares periodic progress reports to Project Director as required.
- Prepares and reviews engineering drawings, mechanical load calculations, technical specifications and cost estimates for construction change orders or to support U.S. installed equipment.
- Makes cost estimates on design and specification alternatives as requested by Project Director; must be able to present in two-dimensional and three-dimensional drafts to illustrate engineering problems and proposed solutions.
- Liaises with local authorities responsible for the implementation, scheduling and compliance of local building codes and construction regulations.
- Coordinates (Title II) mechanical engineering services as required.
- Education: University degree in mechanical engineering from an accredited institution is required.
- Prior Work Experience: At least five years of experience in mechanical engineering related to building construction and renovation on large scale residential or commercial development projects, of which two years of experience in construction project management and oversight is required.
- Post Entry Training: On-the-job training, OBO-specific reporting and oversight methodologies and requirements.
- Language Proficiency: English level III (Good Working Knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
- Job Knowledge: Must have comprehensive understanding of Mechanical Engineering in building construction, knowledge of local building and construction codes, local safety, and security rules. Must be familiar with the local government structure and jurisdictions and the key personnel to facilitate authorization and related engagement. Must have professional knowledge in calculations and criteria, preparation of engineering drawings and specifications.
- Skills and Abilities: Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) and Internet Research. Professional skills and experience in using construction management software such as Microsoft Project and Primavera. Ability to create electrical engineering cost estimates and review electrical works for code compliance. Ability to operate documenting and measuring equipment such as cameras, electric probes and meters, surveying equipment, and measuring tapes.