NIKA is hiring for a Civil Engineer
to provide support services to the U.S. New Embassy Compound (NEC) in Podgorica, Montenegro!!
Named a “Top Workplace” by the Washington Post, NIKA is a well-established company that is focused on growth within an entrepreneurial environment. We work with governments to operate and manage their real property. Our operations management, engineering, and project management services provide our customers with the value and expertise to ensure operational readiness for complex and mission-critical facilities.Job Duties And Responsibilities
- The Civil Engineer is responsible for overseeing and inspecting all work elements of the construction site, reviewing shop drawings and other construction plans, developing change orders and cost estimates for the New Embassy Compound (NEC) Podgorica.
- Individual must be capable of working independently.
- Develops an in-depth knowledge of the contractual requirements for the project.
- Oversees the construction to ensure adherence to approved drawings and specifications; inspects construction workmanship, materials, equipment.
- Oversees site work elements including water and sanity systems, site grading, concrete for vertical and horizontal construction, and architectural trades.
- Monitors the work process, performs quality assurance testing and enforces safety requirements.
- Makes cost estimates on design changes, evaluates cost proposals and contractors' requests for adjustments.
- Reports to the Project Director on the project's conformity and non-conformity to approved drawings and specifications; makes recommendations on how to correct deficiencies and resolve problems during construction.
- Maintains daily construction surveillance logs to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of contracts.
- On behalf of the owner’s interest, the Civil Engineer will be responsible for overseeing the work of contractors over the course of the project.
- The Civil Engineer tracks the contractor scheduled milestones; materials, equipment, and labor used; the quality and workmanship of outputs, and provides the contractors, through the PD, observations, recommendations, and supervision.
- Monitors the construction schedule, reviews contractor’s proposals for change, and makes recommendations to Project Director on time extension requests.
- Reviews contractor’s invoices related to civil/structural works to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Reviews and analyzes material samples, shop drawings, installation manual s, and other technical documents submitted by the contractors to ensure conformity with contract requirements.
- Prepares written reports to Project Director with analysis and recommendations on alternatives and actions, where appropriate.
- Prepares periodic progress reports to Project Director as required.
- Prepares and reviews engineering drawings, civil load calculations, technical specifications and cost estimates for construction change orders or to support U.S. installed equipment.
- Makes cost estimates on design and specification alternatives as requested by Project Director; must be able to present in two-dimensional and three-dimensional drafts to illustrate engineering problems and proposed solutions.
- Liaises with local authorities responsible for the implementation, scheduling and compliance of local building codes and construction regulations.
- Coordinates (Title II) civil engineering services as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited institution is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in civil engineering related to building construction and renovation on large scale residential or commercial development projects, of which, two years of experience in construction project management and oversight is required.
- Post Entry Training: On-the-job training on U.S. Civil Codes, 080-specific reporting and oversight methodologies and requirements.
- Language Proficiency: English level III (Good Working Knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
- Must have comprehensive understanding of DOS/OBO construction regulations and guidelines, OBO commissioning and construction guidebook. Knowledge of local building and construction codes, local safety and security rules.
- Must be familiar with the local government structure and jurisdictions and the key personnel in order to facilitate authorization and related engagement.
- Must have professional knowledge in civil design calculations and criteria, preparation of engineering drawings and specifications.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) and Internet Research.
- Professional skills and experience in using construction management software such as Microsoft Project and Primavera.
- Ability to create civil engineering cost estimates and review civil construction drawings for code compliance.
- Ability to operate documenting and measuring equipment such as cameras, infrared thermometers, surveying equipment, levels, plumbs, and measuring tapes.
NIKA provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Further, NIKA takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed and employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated.